If you are living in a home that is more than a decade old, you might need to update or upgrade a few of your electrical systems. There are new electrical codes added all the time to keep homeowners safe. It is very important that you hire an electrician to keep your Queens’ home in good repair.
Things to Look For:
1. Tripping Breakers. If your electrical circuit breakers keep tripping or blowing fuses, that means that your circuits can’t safely provide the amount of current it is drawing. You may have a dangerous fault situation on your hands.
2. Flickering Lights. You may be chalking it up to ghosts, but lights that flicker randomly are probably an electrical problem and not a haunting problem. If your lights dim when you blow dry your hair, you may need to add a 20-amp line.
3. Your Outlets Are Growing Tentacles. If you don’t have enough outlets for all of your electronic devices, you are probably using plug-strips everywhere. This is probably pushing your electrical system beyond its capacity. Adding a few circuits will give you more safety.
4. You Need Three, but You Only Have Two — Prongs that is. Older homes may not be able to accept the grounded plugs with three prongs. While you may be bummed that you can’t plug in your fancy toaster oven, you should really be more concerned that your home is properly grounded. You should be calling an electrician in Queens ASAP.
5. Your Wires are Dressed in the Finest Cloth. If you were to take off one of your outlet covers, what would your wires look like? If they are insulated in cloth instead of plastic, then you have a problem. This old-fashioned wires are not up to code and are just dangerous to have in your home.
6. Too Hot to Handle. If your outlets or light switched fell warm to the touch or if they give you a little shock, you need to get it checked out. Especially if your home was built between the years of 1965 and 1975 when aluminum wiring was all the rage.
7. Rust Around the Edges. Any appearance of rust around the main service panel or breaker box is a serious sign that things are deteriorating. If you see it on the outside, chances are it is going on inside your system as well.
Your home is not like fine wine. It doesn’t simply get better with age unless it has some help. A Service Medix, our licensed electricians know what to look out for when ti comes to needed electrical upgrades. We have been serving the Queens area for a while, and we are here for you when you need us. Contact the office today for a free estimate!